Roasted Tomato & Red Pepper Soup
This soup is real winter warmer and so easy to make. Soups are a great way of getting in lots of plant foods and help keep us hydrated. Tomatoes have many health benefits in particular they are high in lycopene; a powerful antioxidant which helps to protect our cells and our heart. And for those trying to conceive studies have shown that this antioxidant may help to boost sperm quality. Red peppers are an excellent source of vitamin C, great for supporting the immune system and coping with stress. For extra protein sprinkle with pumpkin or sunflower seeds.
Gluten free & dairy free
1 medium onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, crushed
500g fresh tomatoes, chopped
3 medium Romano peppers, seeded and roughly chopped
1 celery stalk, finely chopped
2tbsp tomato puree
900ml vegetable stock (I like Kalo low salt)
Fresh basil and seeds to garnish (optional)
1. Preheat the oven to 190c (fan 170). Put the chopped tomatoes and peppers on a baking tray drizzled with 1 tbsp of olive oil and roast for 20-25 minutes.
2. In a pan gentle fry the onion, garlic and celery in a little olive oil for a few minutes.
3. Add the roasted tomatoes and peppers, tomato puree and vegetable stock and simmer for around 15 minutes.
4. Remove the soup from the heat and blend in a blender or with a hand mixer. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
5. Alternatively place the roasted vegetables in a soup maker with the stock and other ingredients and let the machine do its magic!
6. Serve with chopped basil and seeds.